The Environment Manager will work within the Hybrid Bill Directorate (HBD) Delivery Team to provide support and leadership in the development and delivery of environmental input in support of the successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2B of HS2 through Parliament, and provide assistance and support to the Environmental Advisers.
The Hybrid Bill Delivery Directorate is primarily responsible for the passage of hybrid Bills through parliament with a secondary function of supporting the wider business is all matter relating to obtaining and applying the powers and consents required to build the new railway. An immediate priority for the HBD is supporting the production, introduction and successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2b (Western Leg) of HS2 through Parliament in line with HS2 Ltd and Government objectives. Phase 2b (Western Leg) of HS2 is the section of HS2 from the Crewe to Manchester. The Delivery team is responsible for providing the necessary specialist engineering and environmental support to the Directorate to support the promotion of the Bill, its additional amendments and other consenting processes.
The Environmental Manager will be responsible for leading on the identification and assessment of the key environmental issues and risks from petitions and assist in the delivery of workstreams to address them, including by developing proposals for changes to the design of the project or by ensuring that an evidence base is created enabling HS2 Ltd is able to defend its position in Select Committee.
- Lead the provision of expert environmental input required to support the passage of the Bill through Parliament, including the process of environmental impact assessment, and assist with the delivery of Additional Provision Environment Statements and Supplementary Environment Statements as required.
- Identify and assess the key environmental issues and risks from petitions and develop and lead workstreams to address them, including by developing proposals for changes to the design of the project or by ensuring that an evidence base is created enabling HS2 Ltd is able to defend its position in Select Committee.
- Manage the preparation of environmental advice, materials and documentation for petition management meetings and engagement events, including Select Committee exhibits and briefings for lead HS2 expert witnesses.
- Attend meetings with petitioners to understand concerns and priorities and to identify solutions that deliver local benefits whilst being acceptable to HS2 Ltd and Government.
- Attend external engagement meetings and events, serving as an advocate of HS2 and promoting the benefits of the design and route, engaging with and influencing a variety of external stakeholders, such as MPs and local residents.
- Ability to understand and critically assess technical information from over 12 environmental topics to priorities issues and challenge outcomes.
- Ability interface, coordinate and manage internal stakeholders from a number of technical and non-technical disciplines.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders.
- Ability to prepare and present Board Papers and take change items through governance.
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of external stakeholders including the DfT as well as petitioners.
- Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders.
- Ability to distil complicated information and identify creative and practical solutions to complex issues.
- Ability to produce and present information to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Team management, planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver against agreed objectives to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
- Degree in a subject relevant to the environment (or equivalent relevant experience).
- Member of a relevant environment or built environment body (e.g. IEMA, RTPI, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of environmental technical disciplines.
- Understanding of the powers within the hybrid Bill / Acts of Parliament and how they relate to and impact environmental disciplines.
- Knowledge and understanding of Parliamentary Standing Orders including how they are practically applied.
- Significant knowledge of assessment processes and political environmental issues surrounding major infrastructure projects, including direct experience in hybrid bill development, promotion and preparation of SES/APs, TWAO’s EIA and ES development.
- Demonstrable professional knowledge of GIS.
- Demonstrable knowledge of environment and engineering interfaces.
- Substantial experience of working on a major infrastructure project in an environmental role.
- Substantial experience in preparing hybrid Bills and further related deposits (Additional Provisions and Supplementary Environmental Statements).
- Management of multi-disciplinary consultant teams.
- Experience in managing the production and logistics operation for hybrid Bills.
- Experience in support a hybrid Bill during parliamentary passage stage.
For more information or to apply contact me directly on 02392 322 321 RLeader@strideresourcing.com
To apply for this job email your details to RLeader@strideresourcing.com.