About the Client
They are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services worldwide.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our operational planning and modelling skill area in Railway Planning business based in our central London offices.
The market focus for Railway Planning is in the following core areas:-
– Railway operational planning and modelling
– Railway business planning and strategy (including rail franchise bid support)
– Rail business case and feasibility studies
– Rail regulatory and policy advice
– Rail asset management
This is an opportunity for you to take responsibility for project managing small and medium sized rail operational planning projects for a mix of public and private sector clients, as well as leading delivery of significant work packages within larger projects. Projects could range from operational capacity analysis through to development of railway strategies and plans, and the delivery of specialist advice in areas such as performance modelling and timetable planning.
You will also be expected to support business development activities, including client relationship development and management, securing commissions and opportunity identification.
· Recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in an appropriate area.
· Relevant industry experience within a consulting business environment.
· Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies.
· Experience in railway planning and operations / or management with a significant proportion in Britain’s railways as a manager or consultant.
· Proven project management skills and the ability to successfully deliver rail planning projects to budget and time.
· Ability to specify and interpret rail operations models in RailSys or equivalent software packages.
· Understanding of Network Rail project development processes (GRIP/PACE). Proven understanding of developing rail infrastructure schemes.
· Proven understanding of timetabling modelling, processes and tools.
· Good understanding rail transport commercial issues.
· Experience in operational and strategic appraisal, design and evaluation of rail schemes, and ability to analyse existing applications.
· Ability to understand the technical performance of different railway systems.
· An overall general understanding and appreciation of railway planning and management, and an understanding of the inter-relationships between strategies, plans and delivery mechanisms (such as franchises, rail projects and the overall contractual matrix / regulatory framework) in the UK rail industry.
· Ability to participate in meetings with clients and customers to demonstrate competence, understanding and a problem-solving attitude.
· Demonstrable track record in any of the following areas:
o Railway business case appraisal (financial and economic).
o Railway economics
o Railway business planning
o Railway strategy development
o Railway franchising (both specification and replacement)
o Railway market analysis
o Railway demand forecasting
o Railway performance planning and forecasting.
· Relevant masters degree or MBA.
· Known to key clients such as DfT Rail, Network Rail, ORR, TfL or PTEs.
· Previous consultancy experience.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.