We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our HS2 Main Works Civils engineering design team in Birmingham. This is a leadership role within our engineering team, giving opportunity to take ownership of the engineering delivery of some of the most challenging large-scale civil engineering assets on this landmark scheme. The role will suit a committed and ambitious engineer who can demonstrate strong leadership and interpersonal skills, who puts safety first at all times, combined with commercial awareness and the ability to play their part in growing a dynamic high-performance team.
The post-holder will be part of a growing team of UK engineers delivering projects across our portfolio for a diverse range of UK clients.
The Engineering Manager will be accountable for the technical assurance of allocated sublot on our HS2 Main Works Civils Contract Design programme ensuring:
- Technical co-ordination and integration of multi-discipline design inputs through Full project life cycle through design and implementation to operation
- Project requirements and are fully met
- Technically sound design solutions are produced, including all associated reporting and cost estimating, to programme and within budget
- Constructability, value for money, and innovation are considered at all stages
- Compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Advice and guidance is provided for staff, and professional development is actively pursued
- Good relationships are maintained with all external parties to enhance the reputation of the company
Working in collaboration with our designers and contract partners, the Engineering Manager will be involved in a variety of tasks such as:
- Managing delivery in accordance with the Engineering Management Plan
- Implement systems and procedures to maintain a cost effective, high quality, safe and environmentally responsible approach to design, construction, commissioning, and other technical activities, compliant with all relevant legislation
- Assess and monitor the competence of Engineers working on projects and provide functional guidance, direction, and briefing.
- Apply engineering controls and procedures to all projects and ensure that all design and construction contracts include reference to appropriate HS2 standards applicable to their discipline.
- Maintain a robust IDC process and chair design integration IDR and IDC reviews
- Management of Engineering schedules and deliverables
- Undertake standards briefings
- Identify and document any derogations / non-compliances
- Manage technical change through design development
- Apply relevant techniques and procedures of quantified and qualitative risk assessment and HAZOP analysis to all projects and check whether the environmental aspects of all projects are managed in accordance with Environmental Policy.
- Advise project and programme management in respect of all construction activities, testing and commissioning, and site supervision. Monitor whether the design and construction elements meet the requirements of legislation, including construction design management (CDM) regulations.
- Provide approval of design and AFC submissions
- Develop effective concept and detailed design solutions that are consistent with the project brief
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Liaise with clients and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated to the team
- Review engineering designs, calculations, and drawings
- Review contract documents and scheme cost estimates
- Review technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety, and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
- Supervise team members including all engineers, senior engineers, senior technicians, and assistant and graduate engineers
- Effective management of and response to project related correspondence
- Checks to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
- Significant high-level Engineering Management experience from complex rail infrastructure environments, ideally in Design Consultancy
- Degree in suitable Engineering discipline with Chartership status
- Demonstrable CEM experience
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Tenacity, resilience and significant leadership qualities
- Familiarity with relevant digital engineering software
For more information and to apply call 02392 322350 or email email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.