We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation owned in trust for the benefit of its employees, the firm determines its own direction and is able to distribute and share the profits amongst employees. This allows us to make clear-sighted, thoughtful, long-term decisions about our priorities as a business and as a member of a sustainable society.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead our Railway Planning business that is focused on railway operational planning and modelling projects. The team is a subset of the wider Transport Consulting business of approximately 110 people in the south of the UK. The role is based in our central London offices.
The Transport Consulting team in London has a broad client base that includes a healthy mix of public and private sector clients. It also supports other parts of the business notably the infrastructure practice, and the overall engineering business.
The work of the Transport Consulting team is becoming more diverse and we have ambitious plans to grow. We are looking for an experienced Project Manager / Technical Lead / Team Leader with a strong track record in the transport industry to lead projects and support the development of the business and the team.
- Project Manager / Technical Lead for railway operational planning and modelling projects, or work packages in larger strategic or engineering projects. Focusing on problem solving, technical project delivery and commercial success of projects.
- Presenting at client meetings, supporting winning new work, reviewing work and guiding the delivery of work undertaken by analysts.
- Bid Manager for Transport Consulting project opportunities. Focusing on developing bid winning themes and delivering bids on time to an agreed budget.
- Maintaining positive relationships with key clients, in addition to engaging with target market sectors to secure new clients.
- Keeping up-to-date with market, technical techniques and guidance developments.
- Supporting the development of a positive industry profile
- Developing and mentoring staff, helping develop new team skills. Ensuring the upskilling and empowerment of junior staff is a key ambition of the growing team.
- The role involves Team Leader responsibilities and involves direct line management of junior staff.
- Promoting and encouraging excellence and quality of work in all activities performed by the Transport Consulting team, in line with the existing Management Systems.
- Promoting and communicating our values and setting standards of behaviour in relation to those values.
- Recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in an appropriate area, such as Engineering, Planning, Geography, Mathematics or Science.
- Relevant industry experience within a consulting business environment.
- Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies.
- Substantial knowledge and experience in railway operational planning and modelling and the development of railway enhancement schemes.
- Proven project management skills and the ability to successfully deliver rail planning projects to budget and time.
- Contributions to developing, winning and managing the delivery of new work.
- Liaising with and presenting to clients.
- Proven experience managing and developing the skills and capabilities of teams and overseeing junior staff.
- An overall general understanding and appreciation of railway planning and management, and an understanding of the inter-relationships between strategies, plans and delivery mechanisms (such as concessions, rail projects and the overall contractual matrix / regulatory framework) in the UK rail industry.
- Demonstrable track record in any of the following areas:
- Railway business case appraisal (financial and economic).
- Railway economics
- Railway business planning
- Railway strategy development
- Railway franchising (both specification and replacement)
- Railway market analysis
- Railway demand forecasting
- Railway performance planning and forecasting.
- Relevant masters degree or MBA.
- Known to key clients such as DfT Rail, Network Rail, ORR, TfL or PTEs.
- Previous consultancy experience.
- Chartered in relevant field of study
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
For more information or to apply contact me directly on 02392 322 321 RLeader@strideresourcing.com
To apply for this job email your details to RLeader@strideresourcing.com.